9.14.2005

Robinopedia: marriage

For me, marriage means a monogamous, lifetime covenant between 2 people.

I believe that this is only possible by the grace of God.

I do not think the gender of the people involved really matters to God. I believe that the issues around same gender marriage are really a problem of the entanglement of church and state. I am proud to be a member of a religious body that has supported the right of gay and lesbian couples to be married amongst us since 1972.

My marriage vow: In the presence of God and these our friends, I Robin Elizabeth take thee Christopher Richard to be my husband, promising, with divine assistance, to be unto thee a loving and faithful wife as long as we both shall live.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin M. said...

Last week, the California Supreme Court ruled that denying equal protection to gay and lesbian couples is unconstitutional. I left this comment elsewhere:

"I think marriage law is one of the few remaining unfortunate and largely unrecognized entanglements of church and state. I think it's true that in Mexico and Canada, and probably most other civilized countries, church weddings and state-sanctioned marriages are already separate functions. I think things would be much simpler if the government upheld equal rights, and churches could make their own decisions about who to marry or not."

I really do believe that.

5/19/2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Further commentary on biblical marriage should probably address questions of polygamy, concubinage and forced remarriage of widows. All of which are repeatedly mentioned in the Bible but no longer socially acceptable.

But I am not the scholar to do it, so this is not the place to have that argument. It's just my holding place for my opinions.

2/08/2012 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home