3.12.2006

In the last 10 days

In the last ten days, I

quit my job (except I still have to work there until the end of the month)
got new brakes for my car
got my landlord to fix our water heater
took care of my children while my husband was away for the weekend
went to an all day Quaker workshop
hosted a dinner party for six people who'd never been to my house before plus my children but minus my usual beloved cohost
registered for FGC
attended my Monthly Meeting's Ministry and Oversight committee meeting
met with my clearness committee
started re-negotiating the financial aid offer at my son's school
worked my usual three days at the office and two at the preschool
performed the daily morning massacre of ants in my kitchen and/or bathroom
read half of Brian Drayton's On Living with a Concern for Gospel Ministry
(not all in that order)

plus, you know, the usual eating, cooking, laundry, dishes, bathroom cleaning, homework supervising, bottom wiping, etc.

Deep breaths. And again.

And in between, I escape to blogs, where previously I might have bought a silly magazine.

Does this all sound familiar? For me, this was a crazy, busy week and a half.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Yes, that all sounds very familiar.

Quit your job?! Will this mean you'll have more time to devote to blogging? :) Well, I hope it is a decision that proves fruitful. What's next? (I ask myself that question every day.) Take care, Rob

3/13/2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger Peggy Senger Morrison said...

Robin,

Ever played with a gyroscope? the wheel in a wheel toy that balances itself with centripital force? You can poke it from the outside and it will right itself from the inside. It is a great lesson for mothers and for us all. Attempting to balance your life by organizing the externals will fail everytime. Arrange your internals around the source of your power (gotta let God pull the string) and it may look spinny crazy but it will dance on the tip of a pencil.

"no storm cam shake my inmost calm
while to that rock I'm clinging
since Love is Lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?"

I suspect you know these things
just a reminder today

warm regards,
Peggy

3/13/2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Well, Rob, while I did not in fact quit my job just so I could spend more time blogging, I do expect that I will spend more time writing in the next couple of months, at least.

What's next is not clear, alas, but the clearness committee is asking good questions and helping me stay on task.

What did become very clear was that this particular job had to go. I will spend a few months trying to develop a discipline of writing more, doing some religious education projects for my Meeting (adults & children), caring for my family, and figuring out how to follow God's leadings in my life in a way that pays the bills and fits in with the unshakeable callings to marriage and motherhood. Chris M. jokes that what I really want is to be pastor of the Brisbane Friends Church. (Which doesn't exist, and isn't quite true.)

Peggy, thanks for the reminder. I need it every chance I get. I see that I forgot to add to the list a more generous than usual amount of praying.

The song that is stuck in my head this week is "What wondrous love is this, oh my soul, oh my soul, what wondrous love is this, o my soul? What wondrous love is this that calls the Lord of Bliss to lay aside his crown for my soul, for my soul?" Last week, Chris brought home from the library an ethereal sounding CD of Anonymous 4 singing American spiritual songs with this on it. But I first heard this song in the Hazel Dickens version which is stark and from the gut.

3/13/2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

A short reminder and a prayer for you, for all of us, that when we lay something down, there may be fruit in holding open that new space, awaiting for the fresh breath of Spirit to help us understand how it, and us, may be of service to the Holy One.

Blessings,
Liz, The Good Raised Up

3/14/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Chris M. said...

In the M. household's personal collection, "Wondrous Love" is on White Dove: The Bluegrass Gospel Collection by Bill Evans with Suzanne Thomas and on Classic Southern Gospel by The Old Harp Singers of Eastern Tennesse.

Oh, and we have an old Folkways record by Liz Getz on which she sings "How Can I Keep from Singing." It's not my favorite.

Yours in the Light,

Chris

3/15/2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home