8.10.2005

Perhaps

"I am probably too much of a neo-Luddite to have a blog"
Robin M. to Martin Kelley, March 11, 2005

"I now understand more fully why some Friends--I've heard it most recently from Conservative Friends last week--preface what they say with the word, "Perhaps," as in: "Perhaps I am too much of a Luddite to have a blog of my own..." smile
Liz Opp to Robin M., August 7, 2005


Yeah, right. Little did I know. From love at first sight to a committed relationship in only five months, that's my journey with the Quaker blogosphere.

A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking of forwarding a post from Rob at Consider the Lilies to a Friend in my Meeting when I stopped to consider whether this was too much like forwarding chain mail and jokes via email. I thought, what I really ought to do is write why I think this is important and just quote from the post. I heard the voice in my head say, "It's like Rob saith this and Liz saith that, but what canst thou say? That's what important to your friends."

And then I knew it. I'd found a name for the blog I was going to write. Oh, I resisted. Last year, I refused to get my son's school's newsletter online because "I'd never read anything like that on the computer." -- I like paper. And books and holding it while I'm sitting by the beach waiting while my three year old takes a nap. Will I have to get all high tech now? Buy a palmtop/digital camera/cellphone/MP3 player? I don't think so. I still wrote this out longhand to start with.

Welcome to a relatively low tech, Conservative leaning, Green, feminist sort of Quaker blog. With lots of references to children and the occasional pie recipe. Published on Mondays, mostly.

Edit: (More info on what is a Luddite here)

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

9 Comments:

Blogger Robin M. said...

No, I didn't tell Martin yet. I asked his advice a couple of weeks ago when I was still considering the faint possibility of starting my own blog, but I had thought I should try this quietly for a couple of days, before he broadcasts it to the world. But Martin - if you see this, go ahead. I will send a lot of folks a proper announcement by the end of the week, but I'm so psyched up about this, I can hardly stand it.

8/10/2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Welcome Robin! I have so much enjoyed reading your comments around 'town' and am happy to see that you've put down some roots. Looking forward to hearing about your family and recipes.

8/11/2005 6:32 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks Rob. Drop by anytime! It is still a bit strange for me, but I have the sense that this will be good for me. And just think - you were the one who helped propel me into writing for myself, thanks to your post on faith and ethics.

8/11/2005 10:17 AM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Oh hooray, hooray!

(Picture Winnie the Pooh, Piglet, and friends in the Hundred Acre Wood, cheering and laughing and making up silly little songs for Pooh to share with Christopher Robin!)

Blessings,
Liz, The Good Raised Up

8/11/2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

Hurrah, hurrah: welcome to the crazy world of blogging! I look forward to hearing more ponderings and thoughts (and pie recipes! My hubby'll love those!). Oh, I'm so excited: I'm doing a little happy dance (even though I've "heard" Quakers don't dance: sshhhh, don't let my ym know). ;)

8/11/2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

thanks Liz and Aj for welcoming me to the blogosphere.

I figure the pie recipes will fill in when I haven't managed to write anything else. Always good to have a backup plan.

And I like to dance.

8/12/2005 12:31 AM  
Blogger Martin Kelley said...

Ahem. Just for the record I know everything that goes on in the blog world. No one needs to announce anything to me, ha ha ha! (Here's one of my a tricks). You were sneaky doing it during a week when I'm just a wee bit distracted! And yes, welcome and contratulations,
Your Friend, Martin the all knowing

8/12/2005 8:59 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I should have known.

For anyone else reading this as their first blog, you should know that Martin's Blog Watch is THE place to go to read the latest and best Quaker stuff on the web. Frankly, it is in comparison to him that I call this a low tech blog. I myself have called him "the dean of Quaker bloggers." But maybe I should have called him the uber-elder of Quaker blogs.

8/13/2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh hooray! Looks like I'm the last to know! I really need to groom my links a bit, and pop you in! And I love pie recipes! I haven't made a pie in almost a year!

8/14/2005 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home