3.19.2006

What will it take?

So what would it take to raise mass consciousness of Quakerism? A catchy slogan like, "Quakers - We're not dead!"? I personally like the Boise Friends Church tshirts a lot, but you'd really need a lot more Quakers to wear them to make this effective.

Maybe we need a best selling book and an appearance on Oprah.
The Silence Driven Life?
The Woolman Code?
This needs more work but it's not a bad concept to start with.

Maybe Quaker meetings could adopt all of US Route 50, from Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA. We could do the trash pick up wearing our "Quakers are way cooler than you think" tshirts.

Maybe Ang Lee could make a movie about Mary Dyer getting hanged for her religious beliefs in Boston. He should really branch out and do more controversial stuff anyway.

I don't really know. I'm not a marketing genius. But maybe the guys at Church Marketing Sucks would help us.

But this is an achievable goal, any time we put our minds to it.

Imagine what it would be like if, in five years, no one in America could say, "I thought Quakers were all dead!"?

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

Hey, Robin.

Here are some other ideas to help move along the possibilities:

1. Theatrical activist and Quaker blogger Peterson Toscano might be interested in creating something along the lines of "The Woolman Code" or "Lamb's Wars: The Quaker Menace."

2. For interesting T-shirts, have you seen this item, that creates a "cloud" of words taken from your blog?

Blessings,
Liz, The Good Raised Up

3/19/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger ef said...

Oh! I really want a "we're not dead!" t-shirt. Maybe it could be a theme of an upcoming gathering?

Am I too morbid???

peace
Pam

3/24/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Maybe we can get them made at some cheap copyshop or print them right on my computer, I think you can buy kits for that!

I've seen the tag cloud for my blog, and it's not as interesting as Martin Kelley's but I could work on that between now and July...

That's it! Every Quaker blogger coming to FGC has to get a t-shirt made with his or her own tag cloud! Brilliant! I could wear it to PYM too!

3/24/2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/03/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

So the automatic word cloud tshirts that Liz linked to doesn't actually connect to the del.icio.us tag clouds but has potential.

So the front of the shirts would say,"I blog therefore I am."

And the back would have my/your tag cloud.

How hard can it be?
How much could it cost?
Would you wear one?

4/03/2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home