6.09.2007

A Thinking Blogger

I am honored to be tagged for this designation by one of the people who inspired me to read Quaker blogs more seriously and to begin writing my own. Liz Opp’s thoughtful tone of voice, so rare on the internet, and her gentle AND challenging questions/comments shaped the way I read and write online. She always makes me think. And an awful lot of the time, I agree with her, so I really like to read her blog. But because it’s a blog that makes me think, sometimes I don’t leave all the comments I’d like to, because I’m always waiting for a day with enough time to read, digest and respond in the manner which it deserves.

I had a hard time choosing five blogs to tag. I wouldn’t read a blog if it didn’t make me think. Even the ones that are mostly parenting foibles are food for thought. Probably some of the people I would tag have already been tagged. Also Liz encouraged me to move beyond the Quaker world, but I didn’t go far. But by now, this meme has gone around enough that I don’t care if I break the rules. So here are eight, more or less:

Can you believe? by Johan Maurer Johan was one of the earliest Quaker bloggers, that I know of, and certainly one of the best known outside of the blogosphere. He consistently writes thoughtful Christian critiques of American and global politics, in addition to well-reasoned commentary on Quaker denominational politics. Plus he regularly includes some of the best blues olips from Youtube – proving once again that it’s not always the youngest bloggers that make the best use of technology. I met Johan in person last summer, in Newberg, Oregon.

The Paris Project by Jenell Paris I don’t remember any more how I found Jenell’s blog. Probably as a link from a link from a link. She is an anthropology professor, with a specialty in racial and gender issues, at a small Christian college. She is a member of Solomon’s Porch, one of the best known emerging church congregations in America. She is married and the mother of three little boys. She writes about religion, family life, academia and social values with wit, depth and honesty. I only wish I knew Jenell in person.

Living on Both Ends: An exploration of best and worst by Anj Anj is a relatively new Quaker and a mother of three teenaged sons. She writes about her own struggles with religion,family life, chronic illness, history of domestic abuse, and becoming a spiritual nurturer. She takes my breath away with her honesty and clarity of writing.

Quaker Oat Live by Cherice Cherice is a theology student at Princeton Seminary, a pastoral intern in Oregon, an evangelical Friend from a family of several generations of Friends, and a new mom. She writes mostly about things she's been reading and thinking about.

Bitch, Ph.D. by herself She writes anonymously but frankly about feminism, sexuality, family life, and American politics. She is funny, freely uses four letter words, and has the widest readership of any of the blogs I’m listing here.

Limping Toward Justice by AJ [not to be confused with Aj Schwanz, who also makes me think] LTJ is about her accompaniment work with a peace community in Colombia, which is dear to my heart, not only because I was an exchange student in Colombia 20 years ago, but because a member of my Meeting was also an international observer in this same community about five years ago

Gathering in Light by C. Wess Daniels Wess is also a seminary student, specializing in a post-modern approach to Quakerism. His blog is a combination of young adult life musings and spillover from his academic studies. I first met Wess and his wife Emily at Quaker Heritage Day in 2006. We led a workshop together about convergent Friends at FWCC in 2007.

Here are the rules in the original post from The Thinking Blog:

If you’ve been tagged, here’s how you play:
1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think;
2. Link to this post at The Thinking Blog so that people can find the exact origin of the meme;
3. Optional: Display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award.’


P.S. This tag is for blogs that make me think. It doesn’t mean I agree with everything each blogger writes. Okay? Thanks.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Johan Maurer said...

*big smile* Sometimes even I don't agree with everything I write. At least not the next day.

Warm thanks for the affirmation!

6/12/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger anj said...

Dear Robin -Thank you. I have started three different comments here, finding it hard to find the words I want to say. So, thank you , your words have encouraged me. And yeah - I'm with Johan, sometimes I don't agree with everything I write either. In fact, sometimes I am shocked at what comes out on the paper - virtual paper that is.

6/21/2007 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home