3.18.2010

FWCC 2010, Day 1

Being Salt and Light:: Friends Living the Kingdom of God in a Broken World is the theme of the 2012 World Conference of Friends in Kenya.

Here in the Section of the Americas, we’re considering whether we should drop most of our regular business to spend the next two years organizing a dozen smaller gatherings all over the Americas on this same theme. It would also be in conjunction with the FWCC World Office initiative entitled Mending the World: A Broken Covenant? Friends’ Responses to Global Change. It would be a big change, and it’s not a sure deal yet.

Some of the questions that came up today include basic questions of time and money and priorities. A few of the more interesting questions are:

How will committees continue to function if they don’t meet at the annual sessions?

How can we put the institutional resources (experience, time, organization, money) of FWCC to work supporting the energy of Young Adult Friends rather than trying to create something new?

Is this what God is calling us to do?

[It's only the end of the first day, and I am completely worn out, despite a nap in the middle of the day. The time change, my allergies, other minor ailments, all are depleting my normal energy and cheerfulness. And I still have to go to worship sharing in Spanish at 8:00 tonight. I’m just hoping I sleep better tonight.]

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Chris Mohr said...

Thanks for the update, Robin.

You wrote FWCC is grappling with the query, "How can we put the institutional resources (experience, time, organization, money) of FWCC to work supporting the energy of Young Adult Friends rather than trying to create something new?"

I think if FWCC continues to focus on critical issues like that one, then Way will certainly open.

3/19/2010 12:22 PM  
Blogger John Michael Wine said...

Thanks for your FWCC work and the updates! Here, in the hinterlands of Missouri, it is fun to think about being part of some of these regional get-togethers to work on some crucial topics. Mike

3/19/2010 12:22 PM  
Blogger Martin Kelley said...

I too thank you for the update. I'll just give one observation which may or may not be applicable. One of the least used groups on QuakerQuaker is for Young Adult Friends. Obviously there are a lot of active YAFs on the site. But somehow it is dynamic and generationally-inclusive enough that no one seems to need to talk about YAF-ism per se.

I wonder if the query could be written "How can we put the institutional resources (experience, time, organization, money) of FWCC to work supporting the energy of [FILL IN THE BLANK] rather than trying to create something new."

What would we fill in that blank with? Isn't that what we're hoping for?

3/19/2010 5:13 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

So I should be clear, the query about resources/energy was a question as I phrased it, not an official query for the Section. I think they are looking at things much more widely than that.

Glad that you're grateful. I'm extremely grateful to be able to come, even if I'm not feeling my best due to the jetlag.

3/19/2010 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home