12.11.2011

O come Emmanuel

O come, O come, Emmanuel!
And ransom captive Israel...

This morning in meeting for worship I was thinking about this hymn.

Partly I was wishing that my new meeting had hymnals handy in the benches. I have got to learn the rest of this song by heart this year.

But mostly  I was pondering how fully I am captive to the ways of the world.

In my work.
In my family life.
In my finances.
In my approach to holidays.

I pray that the power of God will liberate me, but I know that it will be in God's time, not my time; with God's strength, not my strength.



A few years ago (I can't believe it's been 4 years already!) I wrote another post about this same hymn (with all the lyrics handy): Skills You Can't Put on Your Resume





Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kelley said...

Ha, just sang it an hour ago in a local Catholic church. I guess there are some advantages to being in a religiously-mixed marriage!

12/11/2011 9:11 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I've sung it in SF meeting for worship before, but there I knew where to find a hymnal when needed.

12/12/2011 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home