1.04.2012

Wisdom for 2012

Since the mid 90's I’ve tried to choose one word for the year: whatever virtue or practice I felt I needed to work on. One year it was “patience;” one year it was "breathe," another year it was “balance.” Some years I even had a whole set of resolutions: 2009 2008

Then I discovered the Chris Brogan Three Words of the Year meme:  In 2010 my three words were Faith, Farm, and Finish.

But 2011 was so chaotic there was no way to have a clear intention for the year. It was all I could do not to drown in the waves of change. At the beginning of the year, I didn’t know what I wanted to be true at the end of the year. At the end, the waves of change continue to roll in, but now I feel like I’m better able to keep my head above water as they come.

For 2012, I have chosen four words. Wisdom, serenity, courage, discipline. In that order. And the most important is discipline.

I think I always need to pray for wisdom. To see the truth, to know the right thing to do. That takes all the help I can get.

Second is to accept and let go of the things that are not in my bailiwick, not in my job description, not in my sphere of influence. To not spend time fretting over the things I can not change, at least not right now.

Third is to be bold. To claim my path and strike out for the change I want to see in the world. To have faith that help will come.

But fourth is discipline. To follow through, even when it's boring. To act when I know the right thing to do, even when it's scary. Which is a lot of the time in my life. I am grateful to know I am not the first to not do the thing I most want to, or to do that which I do not want. From Paul of Tarsus to Howard Thurman, I am in good company.Or bad company, as the case may be. But I can do better than I have done. I can set up the structures that help me practice. And this is one of those practices that never ends, like physical exercise.

Here's to a faithful 2012!

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

Blogger JoanMay T. Cordova said...

Happy 2012! Inspired by your four words, Robin. I RT'd this :-)

May 2012 bring many blessings to all,
~JoanMay

1/07/2012 11:09 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks Joan May, I'm so glad to have met you by such a glad coincidence.

Robin

1/23/2012 3:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara B said...

I love your four words. My word last year was transformation...well that could certainly take a lifetime. This year I have two:Mindfulness and Freedom. Freedom from false pride, fear, and being judgemental.

2/11/2012 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home