12.03.2007

What was the last resolution you broke?

Not a meme, just a personal wondering.

I can tell you mine: On November 6, 2007, I resolved not to eat while driving ever again.

Why? Because I choked on a bit of pear skin while driving. Have you ever had a sliver of pear skin stick to the roof of your mouth? Or just in the edge of your throat? Yeah, that's what happened to me. Fortunately it was not actually blocking my windpipe and I was able to pull over safely and cough and vomit in the gutter until it came out. Fortunately, I also had a bottle of sparkling water to help rinse it out.

But it did scare me. I thought, I just shouldn't eat while driving. Even things as supposedly innocuous as sliced pears. How hard could that be? Well, I think my resolution lasted about a week. And then I got in a hurry and I forgot about my resolution.

How often do I think "I should do ...." or "I should stop doing ..." and then not follow through? Every year I resolve to do better at sending birthday cards on time, just to my family members even. Every year I think, "this year I'm going to send our Christmas cards out the first weekend in December." This year, I got started on the first weekend in December, and found half a dozen cards I had written notes in (!) but not sent. From 2005. And I didn't finish any of the ones for 2007 either. But there’s still hope. It’s especially important this year because we moved, so I need to send people our new address ASAP.

This is relevant to my blog because one of this year’s resolutions was to blog more often. I didn't promise myself every day, so 133 posts in the last twelve months is good enough for me. More people are reading here and I'm still enjoying writing it. Keep up the good work, I say.

This year, my resolutions will be about
  1. gardening and composting again, even just on my little balcony
  2. disciplining myself to carve out time for writing
  3. finding paid work that I respect and that respects me
  4. organizing my papers/files
  5. communicating with my husband
  6. living “as if” in the kingdom of God
That should be enough for one year.


Here is another post on resolutions: How to Take the Self-Flagellation Out of New Year's Resolutions, from the To-Do List blog. I like her ideas for a list making party. Maybe I’ll have one of those first, since my idea to have a 100 mile diet party hasn’t taken off yet, and would probably work better if I wait until spring.

Maybe I could just resolve to do both in the new year…

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris M. said...

Wow. We really do need to catch up more often.

I'm a little bit behind on my blog reading, so sorry I haven't communicated with you sooner (5).

Love,

-- Chris M.

PS The word verification just now includes the word "hymn" in it. Kinda cool!

12/05/2007 1:17 AM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

I gave up making resolutions long ago-- or maybe I never even started!

Instead, I find I focus on making affirmations... changing my language from, "I gotta get more writing done!" to "I start writing a new piece today."

(Do not use "I will" at the beginning, and do not deposit the words "tomorrow" or "soon" at the end of that sentence!)

So, I'm off to do the equivalent of your #2. Disciplining myself to carve out time for writing.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

12/05/2007 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home