3.25.2006

What I'm Reading Now - Third Month 2006

As I am wont to do when under extra stress, I am reading small bits of lots of different things. Some more than once, many not for the first time. This approach works better with some books than others, but that never stops me.

Voici a list compiled primarily by walking around the flat and writing down the names of all the books that are still lying where I left them:

Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris

Walk Worthy of Your Calling: Quakers and the Traveling Ministry, edited by Margery Post Abbott and Peggy Senger Parsons

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

Deltora Quest: Return to Del by Emily Rodda (At least I finished this one.)

The Gospels of Luke and John (Chris and I are taking turns reading a chapter a night out loud to each other. I learned of this as a practice from the one Emergent church gathering I went to in February. We like it.)

Eating Well for Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, M.D.

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton

What Do People Do All Day? by Richard Scarry

Psalms, randomly

On Living with a Concern for Gospel Ministry by Brian Drayton

Friends Bulletin, starring Joe Guada

Princeton Alumni Weekly (no, I didn't go there)

Via magazine (that comes with the AAA membership)

Undaunted Zeal: The Letters of Margaret Fell, edited by Elsa F. Glines

Rachel and Obadiah by Brinton Turkle

Final Harvest: Emily Dickenson's Poems, selected by Thomas H. Johnson

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* Mike Mulligan and MaryAnn - classic.

I just finished reading Andrew Weil's "The Healthy Kitchen." Yes, it is a cookbook; yes, I read it from front to back. I'm such a geek. :)

3/25/2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Chris M. said...

Kathleen Norris IS amazing, isn't she?

Now why do you have PAW lying around? :0

Chris M.
Tables, Chairs & Oaken Chests

3/26/2006 2:16 AM  
Blogger Peggy Senger Morrison said...

Mike Mulligan - what a great story of zeal w/o counting the cost. I can still remember the dramatic moment when they realize they are stuck in the pit!

But needs to be balanced with "The Kings Stilts" too much work and no play...

3/26/2006 2:53 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I actually bought the Andrew Weil book as a gift for my sister. (hope she doesn't read this before her birthday) It just seemed like basic, good healthy nutrition advice, packaged as a "special" program. More exciting that way.

But I love cookbooks, old and new. I can read them cover to cover too.

Mike Mulligan and Mary Ann is also a great story of unconditional love. I don't remember reading Mike Mulligan as a child. But I still remember the suspense with which I read it the first time to Henry. All these people crowded around and the dust flying. Will they finish in time??? You'd think I'd know by now, how these things end in children's books. But I'm a sucker, everytime. I think this is why I can't handle adult thrillers.

Kathleen Norris is great. I'm thinking I need to write a review for our Meeting's newsletter - it's a good adult religious education tool, for folks at all different stages of their religious education.

3/26/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

My list's less than half as long, but really enjoy Norris' writing.

3/26/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I like Norris, as well; I just finished Amazing Grace myself.

I like Karen Armstrong more, though. Have you read any of her?

4/16/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I haven't read anything by Karen Armstrong, she wrote the History of God, didn't she? I did order one of her books on Islam for our Meeting's library a few months ago.I will have to look for it.

Which of her books do you recommend?

4/18/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home