5.01.2006

Rhubarb Pie

Rhubarb season is basically the same as asparagus season. Quick, before it is over, find out for yourself why rhubarb is also called pieplant.

Prepare one recipe of piecrust. Cover and chill the dough while preparing the filling. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cut up enough rhubarb into thin slices to make 4 cups. (Most recipe books say 1/2 inch slices. I like mine a little finer than that.)

Mix together and stir into the sliced rhubarb to coat

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Roll out one-half the pie dough and line a nine inch pie pan. Transfer the rhubarb filling to the pastry lined pan. Dot the top with slivers of

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Roll out the second half of the dough. Marilyn Moore recommends a lattice top crust or rolling out all the dough into one piece and just folding it over the top of the pie filling. The basic top crust with slits in it works fine too.

Bake in the 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake 20-25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden-brown and the filling is bubbling hot. Cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or yogurt.

You can also substitute 1-2 cups of strawberries for 1-2 cups of sliced rhubarb. I think the simpler version is better. My mother makes strawberry-rhubarb crisp, because she doesn't like making piecrust. All are delicious.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris M. said...

I linked to your pie recipe on my recent post, Quaker Blogging Workshop!

:)

Chris M.
Tables, Chairs & Oaken Chests

5/02/2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger Chris M. said...

Oops, left out the url in the dang hyperlink: Post is here.

(Am I allowed to say "dang" on a Quaker blog?)

5/02/2006 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heavens, that sounds lovely! Just the color of rhubarb makes me happy.

5/02/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh my goodness...I miss rhubarb! We used to have giant stands of it when I was small. I didn't know it was also called "pieplant'--this is a mystery solved for me! Whenever I ran across that word in an old book (it's mentioned in one of the later Little House Books, for example, and I just found it mentioned in a Jessamyn West novel yesterday) I wondered about it and imagined something like a green starchy eggplant! I was never quite curious enough to look it up!

I'm laughing a lot over here, and also wishing for rhubarb!

5/03/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Well, I don't have a garden big enough to grow rhubarb, so I just buy it at the grocery store. It takes more stalks than you might think to make a cup of sliced rhubarb.

5/03/2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Paul L said...

Rhubarb is one of the joys of living in the Midwest. I can't think of anything in nature quite as sexy as the first shoots pushing up through the dirt in mid-April. It has such a, shall we say, priapic quality to it before it leafs out.

Our patch comes from some roots brought to meeting by a family almost 12 years ago when they thinned their garden. It's the only absolutely reliable crop I've every been able to sustain.

I think rhubarb pie is a wonderful metaphor for the bitter-sweet nature of life.

5/04/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Sullivan said...

robin

i started a blog today. so far it is about my experience at woolman and appling for membership. the two letters i have written for both of them. i hope to add somthing about moving and my discernment around this.

rebecca

5/08/2006 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home