9.05.2006

What I was reading - Eighth month 2006

Some of these I started in July, some I haven't finished yet.

The Journal of George Fox
, ed. by Rufus M. Jones
Reasons for Hope: The Future of the Friends Church by John Punshon
The Gospel of Matthew
The Book of Acts
A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
The Girl, The Dragon and the Wild Magic by Dave Luckett
The Red Carpet, Story and pictures by Rex Parkin
Earthsong: Based on Rogers's popular song "Over in the Endangered Meadow" by Sally Rogers, illustrated by Melissa Bay Mathis
Friends Journal
San Francisco (magazine)
Ecrits et Paroles, aux volontaires, vol. 1, 1960-1967 by Pere Joseph Wresinski
The Tightwad Gazette: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle by Amy Dacyczyn
God Is Closer Than You Think by John Ortberg

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

Mercy Robin, you can read all this and make peach pie too? I haven't read any Madeleine L'Engle but have wanted to. Which would you suggest I start with? Kathy

9/05/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Paul L said...

I'd like to know how you found John Punshon's book "Reasons for Hope." (I liked it a lot, though it was not an easy read, for me.)

9/05/2006 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow: someone to rival me! It's really bad when you have your library card number memorized because you place so many online holds. :)

And oh, Madeleine is so my girl: she's who I want to be when I grow up, except I think some of her magic is that she hasn't really grown up. Have you read her Crosswick Journals? For me, they're love letters from the soul.

9/05/2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Kathy, several of these are children's books that move quickly. As for Madeleine L'Engle, I started with A Wrinkle in Time, back in the fifth grade. I think it's a good place to start. I re-read it last year, I think. An Endless Ring of Light is the third book in a series for young adults that starts with Meet the Austins, which I haven't read, but I may now. I found all of the L'Engle books in a box of Chris's and my old books that Henry got into. It's been a good balance to George Fox.

Aj, I haven't read the Crosswick Journals - are they for grownups? Her children's books are complicated enough.

Paul, I'm planning to write more of a review of the Punshon book, but I haven't gotten there over the summer. The first word I would use to describe it is a "slog", but I do have kinder words to add to that.

9/05/2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Dandelion Seeds and Crystal,

I don't really know Susan, I just know that she reads my blog occasionally and I read hers occasionally. So while I am happy to hold her and her family and friends in the Light, I won't be contributing anything else. Thank you though for letting me know that she is being supported by you.

9/11/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I almost forgot, I also finally read The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. I read On the Road in college, at a boyfriend's house. I got this one as a Halloween prize at the library about five years ago, but never actually read it until this summer.

9/12/2006 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petit coucou de Genève de la part de Xavier Verzat ! Take care (verzat at hotmail)

9/13/2006 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home