11.08.2006

I copied it from Amanda

Okay, nifty!

So, this is just a Meme, but it's a pretty good one. I wasn't tagged, I just grabbed it off another blog because it appealed to me:

1. Grab the nearest book. If you are currently reading something, that'll be fine too.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your Blog along with these instructions.

5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet I know that is what you were thinking!

6. Tag 5 people

Here is mine:

"Beregond bowed his head to hide his tears. 'They said that he was dying,' he sighed, 'and now he is dead.'

'No," said Pippin, 'not yet. And even now his death may be prevented, I think."


Yes, I'm finally reading The Return of the King, the third part of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Mostly because Gregg Koskela keeps making references to "the greatest epic fantasy of all time" as it says on the back of the paperback version in my hand, and my husband gets them all and I don't. Or at least I didn't until now.

I read The Hobbit in high school, but was bored/overwhelmed by the trivia of Middle Earth in LOTR.

Existential question: Does this make me cool for reading such a good book or lame for not having read it before?

But it's taking most of my free time these days, so don't expect much blogging in the meantime.

Oh yeah. I tag Chris, Aj, Paul, Rebecca, and Garrett.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Haha. I think it is a bit of both. I always kind of envy people who are reading a book I love for the first time. Maybe we should add that to the meme: a book someone should read for the first time.

11/09/2006 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've not gotten into the lotr. i tried in college, but i kept being like, "they are walking. now they are fighting. now they are walking. now they are fighting." and i kept waiting for something else. then, i realized that there wasn't going to be that something else. that the fighting led to walking and the walking led to fighting and if a few hundred pages of that got to me, i probably shouldn't keep going.

11/09/2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy A said...

Here's mine (and don't tag me!):

p. 123

"We should encourage older people to continue or create their own roles in society, not to disengage from it. Real value should be placed on unpaid volunteer and caregiving activism, and settings should be provided in which older people can use their talents more productively.

In order to distribute time for family responsibilities and leisure more evenly throughout the life course, changes must occur in the workplace. Today, younger workers struggle to care for their families, with out thes upport of employers in many cases, and leisure is associated with old age and 'being put out to pasture.'"

Book: Social Problems in a Diverse Society (a book I'm currently editing)

You might really, really, really regret this posting, Robin...

11/11/2006 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eep! (my link has changed. click it!)

11/14/2006 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Robin, you have surpassed my basic blogging knowledge with your del.icio.us tagging! Oh, and Tolkien has written the master epic of the century with that series.

11/14/2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

You're cool! Even if I didn't think so, some day your boys will think you're cool for having read LOTR before them. Lame is never reading them. Enjoy.

11/16/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

So what does it mean that none, NONE, of the people I tagged followed my meme - but several other people did?

Clearly, I am tagging the wrong people.

Thank you to those of you who did share your reading. I'm not sorry at all.

And you're right Kathy. At least I read them before my sons. Although Henry just finished The Hobbit, I think it'll be a while before he gets The Fellowship of the Ring.

11/20/2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home