2.10.2007

#2

“We don’t proselytize.”

Since when? Since about 1800 I think. Or maybe 1960.

But clearly George Fox had no trouble preaching with the express intention of reaching the unconverted: to bring them out of their light and chaffy minds and lead them to the feet of the true inward Teacher and leave them there.

I’d like to propose another; perhaps more modest, perhaps more ambitious, goal: that in five years, no one in America would say, “Quakers? I thought they were all dead!” But then we’d have to deal with #4.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger anj said...

to bring them out of their light and chaffy minds and lead them to the feet of the true inward Teacher and leave them there. That is the best explanation of advancement I have seen. Of course, I find when I am able to do this, most look back at me in total disbelief and inform me that it is not possible to be at the feet of the Inward Teacher. :)

2/10/2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

If they can't see the Inward Teacher, they haven't left their chaffy minds yet.

But I'm glad you like it- that was my favorite line in Fox's journal, maybe I'm shallow, but it's just fun to say.

2/11/2007 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home