2.03.2007

# 8

“My meeting doesn’t offer enough social opportunities, but I don’t have time to go to the ones they have.”

I used to think this paradox existed because the events our meeting organized didn’t appeal to very many people. But now I think that the real problem is that most people don’t want to make the effort to be part of this community, in all its complicated, cozy, messy, tedious, transformative glory. Which sometimes means showing up for stuff that you’re only tangentially interested in, just because your Friends are going to be there.

Or maybe I’m the crazy one, but I always have fun at Quaker stuff.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

Or maybe I’m the crazy one, but I always have fun at Quaker stuff.

This speaks to my condition. It also explains why I have now taken to answering the question, "Please introduce yourself to the group and explain why you are here," with:

Hi. My name is Liz and I'm a Quaker junkie.

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

2/03/2007 10:41 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I prefer to call myself a religious fanatic. Although I used the words "rabidly Quaker" once.

2/04/2007 6:43 PM  
Blogger Gregg Koskela said...

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes! This is very much true across the spectrum.

2/05/2007 5:08 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Perhaps I should also point out that I think the distinction between me and a true religious fanatic is that I don't assume that every one else will want to be one too. I accept that there are some people who want high maintenance/high performance religion and some people who just want a quiet time once a week.

2/05/2007 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home