6.10.2007

I cleaned my desk today

I wish I had a digital camera so I could take before and after pictures. From mountains tending towards landslides of paper to everything actually fitting in its place, this project was a good balance between homemaking, writing, and ministry.

The simple housework of cleaning, sorting, and rearranging the files and papers has cleared a physical space for writing again.

For my children, I found the tickets to the Lawrence Hall of Science that a Friend gave me months ago - they expire at the end of June, so we're in luck!

For my husband, I found the handouts from the clerking workshop I went to last year.

For various aspects of my ministry, I was able to separate the projects/files that I'm done with from the ongoing/new commitments. I typed up and sent off the report on my final session as clerk of the Quarterly children's program committee. I made a new folder for the clearness committee I'm convening this month. And I moved all the old files off of my desk and into a file box on the shelves next to my desk, so I can actually get to the projects I'm supposed to be working on now.

One one level, it was all housekeeping. On another level, it feels like clearing the mental space for my new phase of life to emerge. Maybe I'll be up to regular blogging again.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris M. said...

You did an awesome job on the desk. Thanks for sharing it with me. :)

-- Chris M.

6/10/2007 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to focus if my desk is messy thus before I work I have to spend the 10 min or so it takes to wipe it clean!

6/12/2007 4:45 AM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Robin, I'm glad for you and your family that there were treasures to be discovered in the process of clearing away the piles.

In my own work space, nearly a half of my small desk is taken up by the computer and its accompanying mousepad. The good news is, my piles on either side of the computer remain relatively small by necessity.

The bad news is, I now have a pile on a comfy chair next to my desk, a pile on a small footstool in front of the comfy chair, and a pile on the floor just in front of my file cabinets!

Still, I would like to think I am much more disciplined than my mother, whose piles spread from her home office into her large living room, kitchen, and breakfast nook!

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

6/12/2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I go through cycles - clearing internal clutter and then external and back to the internal stuff.

I suffer from anxiety if my space is too empty, and distraction if it is too full. Finding the right balance for mental work is tricky.

6/12/2007 8:22 PM  
Blogger anj said...

Good on you for finding that balance and that rhythm.

6/16/2007 10:55 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks, Anj.

6/17/2007 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home