10.26.2007

Two weeks in a row!

In answer to Chris's question: Yes, I went to the SF Quaker Vigil for Peace and Justice for the second week in a row.

It is starting to fit more neatly into my life. You know, one little thing I can do. Plus I have started to count on going out to lunch with other vigilers afterwards. I usually just have a spring roll at the Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant they always go to. It comes with soup and hot tea. The ladies are very nice about helping to store the little cart of signs while we're eating. I don't know what they think about the war, but the food and service are very good. And this week, I didn't have to worry about getting a parking ticket because my car was safely in a shop getting a new thermostat.

I'm still working out what to do with myself during the vigil. Yesterday I held a sign that said, "All outward wars we do deny. - George Fox" But other than that, should I chat with the vigiler next to me? Should I smile at people walking by? Should I close my eyes and pray for peace? Yesterday, I did some of each.

I also resolved a few weeks ago to respond to all the emails I get from FCNL about contacting my legislators. I decided not to worry that it would be more effective to send a handwritten, personalized letter. It is more effective to send a formulaic email than to do nothing. At least it will get counted as one more email from FCNL.

UPDATE: Now with proof!

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger cubbie said...

i was there, too! how did i miss you? i have to leave midway through now, so i can make it to work, and so i don't get to have lunch with folks, which is sad. but i've finally figured out how to get there for a little while at least, with my new job. i've been trying to get there early so i can go upstairs and write to nancy pelosi, but it's kind of hard to make myself do it, now that they make me take off my belt-- i always feel so suspicious putting my belt on in the elevator. but if you want to hang out with the creepy guy putting his belt on in the elevator before the vigil, we can write letters together.

10/26/2007 10:25 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks for the invitation, and I'm sure you're not the only one putting on his belt in the elevator. You should go some time in the morning and see how many people in fancy suits are also removing and replacing their belts. Maybe there is some secret hideout just for that task?

But I have yet to arrive at the beginning of the vigil. This week, I was there by about halfway. The week before, I only made it at 10 minutes to 1. I decided it was more important not to drive faster and waste more gas on my way to the vigil against wars about oil. But maybe one of these weeks, I will arrive in time to at least overlap with you a little bit.

10/28/2007 11:54 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

Robin & Cubbie - I think what you're doing is wonderful. I appreciate that you're willing to take time out of your week to do something like this on behalf of those of us can't or don't.

I like the idea of responding to all of FCNL's calls to email your legislators. I have noticed that when I write a letter to my legislator, I always get a response but when I send an email, I never get a response. Whether form letter or automatic reply, it helps to know your communication arrived somewhere official. That has left me assuming they're not getting or reading my email so I stopped doing it. I may need to re-think that resolution.

10/31/2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Kathy, I can say that after my recent emails to my senators, I got form emails back saying they received my message, but if I want a personalized response, I need to send the message through their respective websites, since they can't respond to all the emails they get through third party sites. For now, I'm content to send the FCNL versions, like I said in my post. At least I know they got them.

10/31/2007 11:19 AM  
Blogger Chris M. said...

See?? I knew I had to read your blog to know what's going on.

Love,
Chris M.

11/22/2007 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home