2.20.2008

123 Meme

I've been tagged by Cherice.

The rules of the meme:

1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
2. Find page 123
3. Find the first 5 sentences
4. Post the next 3 sentences
5. Tag 5 people

Yesterday I had a lot of books on my desk, but last night I cleared them off and put them in a pile on top of the bookshelf. (Not really away, but out of the way.) So it's trickier to do this now. Is the thesaurus on top of the pile on the bookshelf closer than either of the books on the shelf above my desk? It's close. I cheat. I look at the two closest books to see what's on page 123. Yikes. They are both title pages for chapters. There aren't eight sentences on either page.

The winner is Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard Foster. This is from page 122:
"The risen Christ beckons us to the ministry of the towel. Perhaps you would like to begin by experimenting with a prayer that a number of us have used. Begin the day by praying, "Lord Jesus, I would so appreciate it if You would bring me someone today whom I can serve."


(The other book was How to Probate an Estate in California. The closest paragraph was about ways to transfer real estate after death, which is useful advice in its own way.)

I tag:

Chris M.
Liz Opp (declined)
Mary Linda
Kristin
cubbie
Martin

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kelley said...

I saw this virus hit the Quaker ecosphere this morning over on Jaime's Flourishing blog. I quickly put a copy of the 1806 Philadelphia Discipline right under my laptop. Page 123 is particularly obtuse. I feel protected!ew

2/20/2008 9:21 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Martin? I thought you hated memes like this. You'll be the first one I tag next time, so look out...

2/20/2008 9:57 PM  
Blogger Liz in the Mist said...

Robin,
Thanks so much for your comment and link to your post--I hadn't seen that post and it spoke deeply to me, as well as the comments. I was a bit apprehensive since I know "Christian" in the Quaker realm has many different interpretations. But it's my truth, and what I must speak to.

2/21/2008 11:44 AM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Robin,

You know me and memes: I'm not likely to participate in them, given the focus of The Good Raised Up.

Go ahead and tag Martin in my place, if you wish! wink

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

2/21/2008 1:50 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Oooh, maybe I had you two confused?

Martin, this is your official tag.

2/21/2008 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home