3.20.2009

From FWCC in Canby, Oregon

The first day was a good beginning. We started with open worship facilitated by Conservative Friends. The Clerk of the Session this year is from North Carolina (conservative).

We had discernment about a new organizational structure for the Section of the Americas. Rather a lot of process for fairly minor changes, I'd say, but it gave the people who have more of their own identity tied up in various programs a chance to speak to those concerns.

The afternoon business session was a typical nominating committee and treasurer's report, It was opened with a prayer by Ken Comfort, pastor of Reedwood Friends Meeting, and

In the evening, we were welcomed by Annis Bleeke, Assistant Clerk of Coordinating Committee of North Pacific Yearly Meeting (and former Assistant Secretary of the FWCC World Office) and Colin Saxton, General Superintendent of Northwest Yearly Meeting.

Followed by worship sharing in small groups. I chose worship sharing in Spanish again, and it stretches my mind and my spirit greatly to do that, but I think it's good for the Latin Americans to be the fluent ones and folks like me to be the ones stumbling, groping for words to express something important to us. In all of the plenary sessions, there are official interpreters but in the small groups or at meals there aren't enough to be everywhere.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Say hi to NWYM folks for me!!! I hope the conference goes well. Thanks for the updates!

3/20/2009 11:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I appreciated your story about getting into blogging at the FWCC presentation on blogging as ministry. Your idea of having us actually practice on writing comments to blog posts taped to the walls was inspired. Thanks for your contribution to the life of the FWCC meeting at Canby. Marty C.

3/21/2009 2:10 AM  
Blogger Johan Maurer said...

Glad to see you at the evening session! It was my first Section annual meeting since 1993, and as a reunion experience it was overwhelming. I'm not going to attend enough to post from these meetings, so I'm very glad you're doing so--particularly as ministry. I think this ministry is very compatible with Jan Wood's call for centering our inter-Quaker community-building on the values of love and healing.

3/21/2009 2:30 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Hi Cherice - there are so many NWYM folks here! It's a wonderful thing to have so many local Friends, from NW and North Pacific YM among us.

Marty, I'm glad that worked for you and that you were able to make the jump to commenting online here as well!

Johan, it was good to see you last night. I hope I'll get the chance to talk to you a little longer than just saying hi today.

3/21/2009 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home