3.12.2009

We're not alone.

Quakers aren't the only ones struggling with how to balance the elements of our lives.

The other day I ran into a woman I knew slightly from an emerging church group I participated in last year on the way to my anchor committee meeting. She too is struggling with the balance between her sense of being called to pastor a congregation and the need to pay her bills, and for her it's further complicated by the fact that her heritage is in the Baptist church, which has some issues around women as pastors. It is of course more complicated than that, and I felt a sense of kinship with her struggle.

And then I read this post, "The pastoral secret that everyone already knows, but pastors keep trying to hide," from one of my favorite Presbymergent bloggers, Bruce Reyes-Chow. He lives in SF and he also happens to be the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Which I understand to be something like a Presbyterian Pope but only for two years. I met him briefly a couple of years ago, and then I've followed his journey via blogs and Twitter and mutual friends since then. (As in he doesn't really know me, but I feel like I know him.)

In any case, life is complicated and wonderful and hard all at the same time. You are not alone and neither am I.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris M. said...

Thank you. Bruce's post was helpful to me as the clerk of a monthly meeting. There are times when I sit there at the clerk's table during meeting for worship for business and think, "Oh, now what am I going to do?" It always works out better when the second question I ask is, "Okay, God, what are we going to do about this? Can you give me a nudge?" And as needed, to admit to Friends that I'm confused and seeking help discerning.

3/13/2009 2:02 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I'm glad this was helpful, sweetheart. Those are really good questions.

3/15/2009 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home