11.16.2007

Healthy sweet things

When I'm sick, like this week, for example, or my whole second pregnancy, I crave fruit breads: banana bread, zucchini bread, etc.

This week, Aj posted a new-to-me recipe for pumpkin bread that I am going to try this weekend, and linked to some more pumpkin recipes. I thought I would take this nudge to re-post a link to my recipe for pumpkin pie and then offer my favorite recipe for zucchini bread (or muffins). My kids love it. It's basically cinnamon cake, but it's healthy, you know. It has zucchini and whole wheat flour!


3 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease either 2 9x5x3" loaf pans or line 24-30 muffin cups, or go half and half: one loaf pan, 12 muffin cups.

Beat the eggs until light and foamy. Add the sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla and mix lightly but well. In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt, soda, baking powder, and cinnamon and add to the egg-zucchini mixture. Sir until well blended and pour evenly into prepared pans. (If you're going half and half, pour the muffin cups 2/3 full first, then dump what's left into the loaf pan.)

Bake loaves 1 hour or muffins 25-30 minutes.

This is my slight variation on Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread, as presented in James Beard's Beard on Bread, which I received as a wedding present.

If your family won't eat anything with green flecks, you can peel the zucchini, but I don't. You can use all white flour, but not all whole wheat flour. And you can add one cup of chopped nuts (filberts or walnuts) if you want, but not at my house. You can use less sugar, or less oil, or whatever else you want to do to try to make it more healthy, but then don't blame me if it's not as delicious as I said.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Aj Schwanz said...

Oooh, I bet it'd taste good with white whole wheat flour: have you tried that yet?

I hope you get better soon (but you should still post yummy recipes even if you're not craving bread - the rest of us might be :) ).

11/16/2007 4:17 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I don't know, I don't think I've used white whole wheat, but maybe. I know I had some at some point , but I don't know if I made zucchini muffins then or not.

I'm mostly over my cold now, but I always like banana bread. One of these days when I have nothing else to say, I'll post BOTH of Beard's banana bread recipes that I like.

11/16/2007 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home