11.22.2007

Thanksgiving 2007

For the first time ever, we went to the meeting for worship and potluck dinner at our meetinghouse.

I wasn’t feeling particularly worshipful, but I stuck it out in my chair. I should have just gone and sat with the kids on the pillows in the corner. They had colored pencils and sketchpads and lots of books. I read half the book of 1 Chronicles, the part where David smites all the kings for miles around and a guy dies for trying to keep the ark from hitting the ground. Whatever. It’s just where my bible opened to.

The potluck was fabulous. I personally brought an apple pie and my mother’s sausage stuffing.

We had lots of stuffing. Apparently last Sunday at the rise of meeting, one of the elderly members of the meeting especially asked that someone make a Portuguese-style stuffing, like his mother used to make. One woman went so far as to ask him what that meant to him – turns out it means cornbread and chopped black olives – and she made that. Three other people brought their own version of stuffing. I still like my mother’s recipe best.

We also had lots of pie: apple, pumpkin, cherry and mincemeat. With your choice of Cool Whip or hard sauce or crema fresca to go with it. Plus a pumpkin flan with pomegranate seeds and a bar of very dark chocolate broken into little bits. Oh my.

We had a mix of folks, some who I suspect would have been alone without the meeting gathering, and some who surely chose to come to be with us. Chris and I just decided that we had done enough traveling for the month of November and we would stay home. What with Chris being clerk of the meeting, it was a good year to go down for the potluck. Some folks came just for the meeting for worship, others came just for the meal. One attender brought a new-to-meeting friend and another man may have just come in off the street. There was plenty of food and fellowship.

I am thankful for the opportunity to share with all of those who came.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris M. said...

I like your mother's stuffing recipe, too. And your pie was good. Though it was facing some heavy competition on my plate from the pumpkin and cherry pies, plus the hard sauce which went well with the bits of dark chocolate.

It's been six hours and I still couldn't possibly eat more today.

-- Chris M.

11/22/2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Heh, thanks Robin, for the link. Sounds like a wonderful potluck. Liz asked last week if she should pick up some Cool Whip for me and I told her I was scared to try it. I was scared I'd like it and scared I wouldn't. Funny. I think I would have tried Cool Whip if it had shown up at the dessert potluck we attended.

11/23/2007 12:25 AM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Jeanne's final sentence gave me a good laugh. She and I had fretted over what to bring to the dessert potluck--all we had was some store-bought toffee. Next year, I'll suggest we bring some Cool Whip! smile

Once or twice we've gone to our meeting's Thanksgiving potluck. Like yours--minus the Meeting for Worship, sadly--we've had a mix of aging fFriends who weren't traveling; friends of Friends who were in town visiting; and couples or small families that didn't want to deal with a huge meal on their own.

This year, we didn't go to the meeting's potluck, and we didn't even make a whole turkey. In the spirit of keeping things simple, since we weren't traveling and no one was traveling to be with us, we got a pre-ordered Thanksgiving-meal-in-a-box from the local high-end grocery store. It was okay, but I sure did miss having a brined turkey.

Maybe next year...

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

11/23/2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

I know how you felt, Chris - about 10:00 that night I had an apple before I went to bed. It was enough.

Jeanne and Liz, it was a nice potluck. It reflected our meeting, a real mix of the economic as well as social classes within our meeting, but heavily male, and more than 10% gay.

It seems like a lot to buy a whole thing of cool whip just to taste it. Better to try it out in a wider setting. My older son tried the cool whip on his pie. He liked it. The younger one doesn't like whipped cream either, so he wouldn't try cool whip if he didn't have to. You don't have to either, if you don't want to!

11/24/2007 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home