Proposed Queries for a Clearness Committee
- Do you think I'm crazy?
- Have I been faithful in following my leading so far?
- Is there some reason that you can see why I shouldn't continue to follow this leading?
- Does this feel rightly led in my own sense of reason and my experience?
- Does it fit within Quaker tradition?
- Is it reconcileable with a Quaker understanding of scripture?
- Does it resonate with others in my Quaker community?
- Will it lead to greater fruit of the Spirit? (love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, for example)
- Does it conflict (excessively) with my prior commitments?
- Does it fit with other concerns/commitments I have undertaken? How?
- Does this feel Spirit-led or Spirit-fed to you?
Some of them are queries that I should ask them and some they should ask me. I don't think these are strictly "if yes, proceed, if no, stop" flowchart type questions. Some of the answers might be "no, but here's why that's okay..." And the answer to the last query might become clearer in listening to the answers to the rest of them.
I'm open to suggestions for editing or additional queries that might be helpful. If any of these are helpful to you, feel free to use them. I want to be clear that I don't see these as a formula or checklist for all clearness committees. Just tools that I think will be useful to us now, and may also have some application in other circumstances.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]