1.01.2007

On Morning Wings, In Oceans Deep

It has been made repeatedly clear to me in the last few weeks that my mantra for the new year will be
Not my will, Lord, but Thine.
One Friend used the tempering of steel as a metaphor. My favorite horoscope said, "While in general the year should bring an abundant amount of sweet luck and high adventures, there will be a locust visitation or two. I urge you to assemble your own personal equivalent of a chicken army." This poem spoke to me yesterday morning on the way to meeting for worship:

Lord, you look at me and know me,
Every step I take, you show me.

When I rise, and when I rest,
You will always know me best.

Where I walk, or sit, or stand,
You still hold me in your hand.

And if I don't know how to pray,
You understand me, anyway.

Once when I was lost, you found me.
Then I felt your arms around me.

When I'm afraid and want to hide,
You are always by my side.

When I'm lonely, you are near,
When I'm angry, you stay here,

High as heaven bright, you greet me,
Down in darkness, too, you meet me.

You are with me everywhere:
In light and shadow, fire and air;

In every tiny grain of sand;
And in the desert, vast and grand;

On morning wings, in oceans deep;
When I'm awake, and when I sleep.

In my secret self, you made me,
In the blazing sun, you shade me.

Know me, lead me, guide my way
Through every hour of every day,

For all my life, in all I do,
Let me always be with you.

by Reeve Lindbergh, based on Psalm 139
From In Every Tiny Grain of Sand
2000, Candlewick Press



In meeting, I was reflecting on how I want to remember both that God is always with me and that I want to be with God. I resolutely do not believe that God has our lives planned out for us. I do not believe that the world was meant to be exactly how it is. But I believe that God is always available to help us learn the lessons inherent in the choices that we make, and that other human beings have made for thousands of years. God can help us to discern the loving and generous act or path before us. Then this hymn came to me:
... Then sings my soul, my saviour, God, to thee
How great thou art, how great thou art!
Happy New Year to you too!

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

Happy New Year Robin! You're on a noble quest and it's a privilege to journey with you in this small way. Thanks for sharing this particular poem at this particular time! Blessings on you and your family in the year ahead. K.

1/01/2007 6:31 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thank you so much Kathy. You have been one of the many blessings of 2006!

1/02/2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

That blessing goes both ways!

1/03/2007 10:50 PM  
Blogger Nancy A said...

Lovely! The poem seems to breathe.

1/04/2007 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home