3.09.2007

Opportunities, to do with children mostly

Darcy Drayton defined an Opportunity as a period of deep listening after the spiritual condition of another person or small, intimate group.

One of the opportunities of the day was a conversation over lunch with David L. I’ve met Dave before. We’ve had conversations before, often quite interesting and quite brief. On Saturday, we got to talk a little about the spiritual practice in my family of grace before dinner and of practicing praying out loud. Lately, when it’s my turn, I always choose to speak a prayer. In part because I want my children to have some concrete ideas of what to do in a moment of silence. Also in part because I think this is something I need to learn how to do at this phase of my spiritual journey.

Another Opportunity was a period of worship later in the evening, just before Brian and Darcy Drayton had to leave. The spoken ministry was fine. But the best part for me was that the children were all, not participating exactly, but present. The three of them were in a corner of a room, reading to themselves. They didn’t have to be shushed or managed. They were respectful and released from the obligation to act interested. I would like to find more opportunities for my children to be loosely present in worshipful settings like that.

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy A said...

We used to do the quaker grace thing before supper every day. Somehow, in all the rush of our days, we've fallen out of that practice. It was a good thing while it lasted though, and I hope some day we can go back to it.

The kids used to really like and respect it. But eventually, they just got silly. I had explained that it was a silence for listening to the nudges of the Spirit. They would crow after it was over, "The Spirit was telling me that my ham was getting cold!" or "The Spirit says I get extra desserts!" They had a great time trying to time their bodily noises to coincide with the silence, then go off in gales of unholy laughter.

[Sigh] It's hard to soar with the eagles when you run with the turkeys.

So keep it going! Just don't make the mistake of telling them too much...

3/09/2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Chris M. said...

Yes, you're right, it was very nice that they were just absorbed in their books, being respectful and "loosely present." Yes, that sounds right.

-- Chris M.

3/10/2007 12:11 AM  
Blogger Laurie Chase Kruczek said...

LOL at Nancy A's "gales of unholy laughter" and "eagles/turkeys" comment.... too funny!

3/10/2007 3:24 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

No, for now they like silence best because it's shortest...

3/11/2007 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home