4.28.2010

Two May workshops at Pendle Hill

More stuff I wish I was going to, but I’m not. Just because I live in California and I have a full time job and a family to take care of, and not an unlimited supply of money or frequent flyer miles or vacation days.

But you. If you can make it to either or both of these, let me know. I could offer you a guest posting gig right here on this blog. Inquiring minds want to know how it goes.

First, New Monastics and Convergent Friends, May 14-16, with Martin Kelley and Wess Daniels. Martin and Wess I count as personal friends as well as public Friends. They are two of the most innovative thinkers about Quakerism that I know and I’d love to spend the weekend hanging out and talking Quaker stuff with them, no matter what the specific topic. Plus I co-led a workshop with the two of them last year and it was fun.

Second, The Practice of Simplicity, May 28-30, with Erin Rooney Doland. She’s a member of Herndon Meeting in Virginia and the Editor-in-Chief of Unclutterer.com, an awesome blog about how to deal with stuff. I don’t follow many non-religious blogs, but this one is on my frequent reading list. And she reads my blog, at least sometimes.

Erin says that “the theme behind the weekend is ‘Making room for Light.’ We practice simple living (and I mean practice in the same sense you might practice a sport or practice the piano) because we want God to have room in our lives. When we fill our schedules, homes, offices, lives with stuff, Stuff, STUFF, the Light gets pushed aside. Through this weekend retreat, my hope is that people can take time to reflect, pray, and listen in the silence to help them reconnect with the Light and make room for it to grow in their lives.”

She also has a new book out, How to Unclutter Your Life in One Week, so if you can’t go to the workshop, there’s another possibility. But I think the weekend will have more spiritual content than the book, which is more on the very practical end of things. In my experience, you can get rid of a lot of physical stuff, but if you don’t sort out your spiritual and emotional life, the physical stuff will just pile up again.

There's more information about both workshops including registration and scholarships on the Pendle Hill website.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin Kelley said...

Thanks for the plug! We'll be trying to share some of what comes out of this afterwards for all those who can't make it.

4/28/2010 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Thank you, too! I'm really looking forward to the weekend and would be very happy to share information afterward for those who can't make it.

4/28/2010 10:55 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

You're welcome, both of you. I hope the workshops are full and fulfilling for everyone involved.

4/29/2010 4:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

As a further step toward less clutter, I've put in a reserve at my library for the uncluttering book. As you say, Robin, the mental/emotional/spiritual clutter and the physical clutter go hand in hand. My family is (ALMOST) at the end of a grueling 8 months or so of worrying and fretting and having to be constantly vigilant regarding our daughter's adoption and the physical clutter sure piled on during that emotional turmoil. So here's hoping that the book will help us hit the 'reset' button (as Hillary Clinton might say) on the physical part of the clutter.

4/30/2010 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin!
This isn't a comment on this post, but I'm curious about your conversion story. I'm at the beginning stages of sort of coming to terms with mine and I am interested in hearing others' stories as a way of finding community, I think, or confirmation.

Many thanks if you are willing,
warmly,
Shelly

5/21/2011 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home