12.30.2008

Phyllis Tickle and Joanna Macy? Anybody?

Has anybody out there already read both Phyllis Tickle’s new book, The Great Emergence, AND any of Joanna Macy’s writings about The Great Turning?

I just finished Tickle’s book, and it’s as good as people said it was. A Friend at SF Meeting was able to loan me Macy’s 1998 book, Coming Back to Life: Practices to Reconnect Our Lives, Our World, co-written by Molly Young Brown. I'm just starting it, and it seems relevant for me on several levels.

I think these two women are prophetic voices for our times, coming from different backgrounds, both observing and commenting on the same mega-shift as Brian McLaren, etc. I’d like to talk to anyone who’s read both authors and would be willing to compare and contrast with me.

In exchange, I’ll offer two end-of-year gifts to readers:

One is a link to an opportunity to win a trip to the Obama inauguration next month by submitting your commitment to change in 2009. It’s offered by the Case Foundation.

Second is a recipe with a fine Quaker pedigree. I first ate these cinnamon-sugared pecans at a couple of SF Meeting events. The woman who made them said she got the recipe from a long-time Friend from another meeting who always brings them to AVP gatherings. It also appeared in the December issue of the SF Meeting newsletter.

Cinnamon-Sugar Nuts
Can be any kind of nuts, but pecans are good. Makes one pound.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly beat one egg white. In a medium sized bowl, mix with one pound nuts until coated. In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, then stir mixture into nuts until evenly coated. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for a total of 20-30 minutes, stirring at decreasing intervals (after 10 minutes, 8 min, 5 min, 3 min, etc.) During the first ten minutes or so, the egg white will puff a little. Watch them carefully near the end and take out when they are lightly browned.

Happy New Year!

Labels: , , , , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, I skimmed all the early chapters and read the last in the Phyllis Tickle book. As an old history student, the early chapters were a reminder of history I knew, about how technological and social changes affect our religious practives and beliefs directly.

(I did not know, and was shocked to learn, that some modern women have used birth control pills to delay a period for a few days, or even to prevent menstruation altogether.)

It's a long stretch to assign change in the church to a 500 year cycle, but it made a catchy outline for Tickle's presentation.

The grid and circles in the last chapter seemed pretty artificial at first and then began to work for me, again as a good way to conceptualize a complex topic. I learned more about the Pentacostals than I had known before, and I'll try to learn more, as they are the fastest growing group, according to Phyllis Tickle. I had never heard of John Wimber, but I had noted in Soul Graffiti the influence of Quakers and Brethren.

I don't really see much commonality here with Joanna Macy, whose Great Turning is, I think, more about our realizing finally that we are approaching the brink. She says we are in a closed and self-correcting system, and thus will turn away from ecological disaster just in time. (Does it not appear to be happening as we speak?!)

Thanks for sharing all this with me and others. (You can put this response into your blog series if you want.) I'll bring the book back Sunday.

Cheers...............Elizabeth

12/31/2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger cubbie said...

i just finished the great emergence, and i think i liked it. i loved the history element, but something about the way it connected to the conclusions she was making was really jarring for me. i think i liked them, too, but somehow it was a big mental shift to switch between "fact" and "theory" (which is a very artificial sort of divison, but i think is what got me stuck?).

2/08/2009 9:21 PM  
Blogger Alice Y. said...

I've done some training with Joanna Macy's kind of buddhism and I'm really interested in living christian response to that same perspective. Look forward to read the Tickle book and then would love to compare notes.

I love how Macy's work can help people connect to the knowledge of the pain in the world, and use that heart-knowing to move through to act out of love and the power of our unity with the whole earth and people.

6/26/2009 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home