7.12.2006

On Fire: Renewing Quakerism through a convergence of Friends

So what can I say about our interest group? Martin, Chris, Dave, and Liz have already posted about it. I suspect there is more blogging to come.

I can say that it was an honor and a pleasure to work with Liz Opp and Martin Kelley live and in person. I had met Martin once before, briefly, but Liz and I met for the first time on Saturday evening, July 1. On Sunday July 2nd, the three of us sat down together for the first time and asked, "So what are we going to do tomorrow night?" I had brought a few ideas and we considered them, adopting some and not needing others. Even this planning meeting was graced by the presence of Spirit. We were able to share a little of our own interests and concerns and to reach a level of conocimiento, of comfort with each other that boded well for our interest group.

One of our clearest agreements was that we should arrive early enough to get set up and to settle into worship before everyone arrived, and to stay in silent gathering prayer for at least fifteen minutes after 7:00. As people arrived, they too would be able to center down, to Be. Here. Now., and to understand that this was a serious attempt at Quakering. We figured that the folks who would be attracted to our interest group would get it. We were right.

I will follow this with three related posts:
1) the list of spiritual practices and disciplines that participants named as bringing them strength and/or joy
2) the text I wrote out with my spiritual journey that I shared as part of the interest group
3)the list of some Quaker books that we think are important that we handed out.

God's tender mercies are over all.

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

Robin, what an amazing experience to have done this with you and Martin. Clearly there was Something working through us even before we got to Tacoma, since I had completely forgotten how much difficulty I typically have when co-facilitating a group or workshop.

Our preparation, and our commitment to starting the interest group with a significant amount of time for worship, I think reaffirms the Quaker maxim:

Spirit favors the well-prepared.

And just yesterday or today, I was thinking to myself, "Y'know, one of us should post the information that was on that handout, with resources we recommend, etc." So seems like you and I are on the same wave-length.

What a joy to have met you, though I feel sad that I didn't have more time with Chris and the kids. Well, as Way opens, I suppose...

Blessings,
Liz, The Good Raised Up

7/12/2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks Liz. I hope I wasn't presumptuous by just going ahead and posting the list. I just copied it from the email Martin sent me with the final version. I couldn't get it to print in lime green though.

I hope to work with you again some day.

7/13/2006 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home