9.26.2006

Peach cobbler

I've heard of elementary schools where there is an unspoken competition at school functions to bring only goodies that come from the best bakeries, where the box you bring it in is as important as whatever is inside. That sort of attitude would be frowned on at my sons' schools. I may just be crossing the line by showing up at the class potluck with this.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a three quart casserole.

Stir together in a medium bowl and set aside

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Stir together in a large nonreactive saucepan

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Squeeze juice out of 1/2 lemon

Peel, pit and slice 5-6 large peaches, enough to make 6 cups sliced

Stir into the saucepan, in this order

1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup apricot preserves
6 cups sliced peaches

Cook peach mixture over medium heat, stirring often, until the juices run and then thicken. Remove from the heat. Stir in

1 tablespoon soft unsalted butter

Transfer to the prepared casserole.

Rub into the flour mixture

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

Gently stir in with a fork, just until the dough leaves the bowl

1/2 cup milk or half and half

Toss on a lightly floured surface until no longer sticky, and then pat or roll out to a shape that will fit the top of the casserole. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.

At home: Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
At class potluck, if you really want to show off: bake it for only 20 minutes at home, let it cool enough to carry, and then put it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes at event site.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy A said...

Thank you for the cobbler recipe, which will have to be made with drained canned peaches where I live, since peaches are desperately out of season.

I often lament on the lost art of cooking. If the price of membership were set in North American dollars instead of euros, I'd join the Slow Food movement in a minute. We buy our food fresh, whole, free range, organic, off the farm, at the market, out of the back garden. We do the cooking ourselves, nothing comes in prepackaged boxes. But so few people our age know how to cook.

Some friends tell me with an air of importance that they're too busy to cook. I think they expect me to cringe at my unimportance (I run my own business). I just give them a sympathetic pat on the arm and tell them that some of the store-bought food doesn't taste too bad.

We are what we eat. The body is a temple. We have to struggle against the culture of donating our lives to the corporation to claw back living time for ourselves.

Of course, I'm one to talk because I never have time to go to school functions!!!!

10/01/2006 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home