8.18.2008

Mommy, What's A Train?

Daddy, what's a train? Is it something I can ride?
Does it carry lots of grown up folks and little kids inside
Is it bigger than our house? - oh, how can I explain
When my little boy asks me, "Daddy, what's a train?"

The boys and I are taking the train today from Millbrae to Santa Barbara, first a commuter line and then the Amtrak Coast Starlight.

It's our six-year-old's first time on a "real" train and the ten-year-old's and my first time since he was four months old. But they've seen plenty and they've been on the commuter line several times. We first heard the song quoted above on John Denver's collection of train songs for children.

The scheduled hours are just perfect for our travel plans, but I've heard too many stories about the frequent delays on this line to count on it arriving on time.

We're bringing snacks, and books, playing cards, art supplies, and a camera.

Wish us luck!

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

6 Comments:

Blogger Contemplative Scholar said...

Wow, have fun! I *love* train travel! A camera is a great idea -- it's really fun (but challenging) to take pictures from a train.

8/18/2008 3:04 PM  
Blogger Gil S said...

Have a great trip! I love trains too and on my own find the experience quite contemplative - different with kids though! But fun as I remember it,

8/18/2008 7:39 PM  
Blogger naturalmom said...

Fun! We took the train from East Lansing, MI to Chicago last year. There were some pretty major delays, but it was fun anyway. My kids learned from a friend that the pizza on the train is the *best*! So of course they had to try it. It was ridiculously expensive and microwaved. (eww) But they loved it (power of suggestion if you ask me), and gleefully reported back to their friend that it was great. Kids...

;o)

8/18/2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Skybalon said...

Some of my favorite memories were made during Amtrack Surfliner (Santa Barbara to LA) delays.

Well... no. I guess maybe some okay memories... Well- one passable memory?

I did get a lot of homework done and felt continental doing it.

8/18/2008 9:54 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

We made it, and the train was even five minutes early into Santa Barbara.

The pizza and soda for lunch were a big hit, as were the chocolate chip cookies at five o'clock. I'm glad I packed fruit as a snack.

We didn't even get to the art supplies or the camera. The challenge will be the trip back on Friday, when the novelty will really have worn off.

8/19/2008 12:59 PM  
Blogger anj said...

Yeah, I love trains and train travel. So glad that you made it early and had fun.

8/20/2008 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home