8.04.2008

Cranky at PYM

Maybe next year M&O can schedule an open mic time for spontaneous lectures about sociology and cultural sensitivity. Because I've heard some good ones this year.

Maybe then we wouldn't have to hear them all in meeting for worship.

Just because one speaks slowly in measured tones doesn't make it ministry. At least it's not taking me to a deep place of worship.

Dear Lord, save me from my judgmental mind and from well-meaning but undisciplined Quakers. Please grant me patience, compassion, and wisdom. Help me not to hold it against each new Friend who rises that the last speaker annoyed me. Amen.

[edited 8/4, 11:17 am]

Labels: , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was being cranky at the other PYM (Phila YM) this weekend and being nostalgic for Pacific YM. Funny, that.

Kathleen K.

8/04/2008 11:18 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Really, other than the popcorn meetings for worship, it was a good week.

The last couple of years, the morning meetings for worship at Pacific YM have been extended to an hour and a half, every day, followed by worship sharing, but it's apparently still not enough for people to leave more than thirty seconds of silence between messages. I should say that other Friends, who live in small Quaker communities, were grateful for the plethora of vocal ministry.

It made me truly appreciate my monthly meeting, where yesterday the vocal ministry was limited to the monthly reading of the advices and queries at the beginning of the hour, and two messages near the end.

8/04/2008 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you made me laugh, thank you.

I'm new to looking at Quakerism and have attended two different meetings in my area. Nice people. But at the first one, it seemed like the spirit was moving everyone to speak out on gay acceptance, and at the second one about saving the trees.

Both good causes, which I support, but my expectations were different. I was waiting for something mystical, I guess, but I felt like I got pamphleteering. My husband (who did not attend) said "Oh that's just your judgmental Catholic self coming out," but I was pretty sure it wasn't that...much. It just didn't feel like ministry.

8/11/2008 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/22/2009 3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home