7.16.2008

FGC Food Issues

It seems like the in-thing to do to comment on the meals at the FGC gathering, so here I go.

As always in a cafeteria/eat all you want situation, the lines were long and, there was too much food, and too much that isn’t good for you. I tried to make some healthy choices at every meal – including recognizing that I had actually had enough, even if I might have liked more.

I experimented with a few desserts that didn’t involve chocolate, on the general assumption that any chocolate served in the dining hall was not procured through fair trade channels. My favorite was the root beer float, but I shudder to think about the calories in soda AND ice cream. Iced coffee with a vanilla ice cream float was almost as good. The carob soy milk was tolerable; thanks Peterson for recommending it. But institutional pie is not worth eating, in my opinion.

We ate frequently in the room next to the Silent Dining area – not because it was any quieter but because there were longer tables that would allow a family of four to sit with other people. It seemed like our children were less attached to their friends this year, or at least we didn’t have as many requests to eat with so and so.

One highlight was the blogger dinner which has already been blogged about.

We tried to have a SF Meeting dinner, since there were about 15 of us at the Gathering, but it rained on our outside dining plan, and we gave up on trying to save seats in the crowded dining hall.

Apparently the availability of ice cream at all meals is a Gathering tradition. I heard several Friends repeating the story – I don’t know if it’s really true or not – that at some previous Gathering, the cafeteria staff reported that Friends had eaten more ice cream in one week than their students had eaten in a whole semester. In any case, one of my sons was a regular in line – but he’s too short to scoop his own, so Chris or I had to go with him. In light of that, can you find me in this video?

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Blogger Imperfect Serenity said...

Oh, how funny to see the dining hall! The icecream was one of the things my child remembered from our previous time at Gathering and was a highlight this time as well.

7/22/2008 7:27 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

I don't remember the camera going by at all, but there I am.

7/22/2008 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home