7.15.2008

Authors at the FGC Gathering

One of the things I did at the FGC Gathering this year that I hadn’t before was attend several presentations by authors at the bookstore.

The first was Sacred Compass: The Way of Spiritual Discernment with J. Brent Bill. Brent did such a good job that the director of the Ben Lomond Quaker Center invited him on the spot to lead the Year End Retreat. It was the lovely way Brent talks about his wife Nancy that really did it. I’m hoping she’ll come too – they would make a great team. And of course, spiritual discernment is an obvious theme for a year end retreat. The registration information is not available yet, but the dates will be December 27, 2008 – January 1, 2009.

The second was by my dear Friend and writing buddy Elizabeth Boardman, for her second book, Where Should I Stand?, which was just released at the Gathering. It’s about the daily life of clerking a Quaker meeting. Not so much about how to run a business meeting, although it does cover that some, but more about how to relate to other people, how to deal with one’s apparent and secret fears, joys and expectations.

We’re also having a release party for Elizabeth in SF on July 20, 2008. I expect there will be cake and she’ll sign the books that will be available for purchase at the Ninth Street Meetinghouse in SF. You can also get it through Quakerbooks.org, of course, but if you can come to the party, we’d love to see you.

The third was for the upcoming youth book that will be published by QUIP and FGC. Three members of the editorial team were there: Harriet, Katrina and Angelina. They spoke about the book, handed out the call for submissions, and lead a mini writing workshop on the question “How has technology made a difference in your spiritual life?” (My answer? The Quaker blogosphere, of course!)

I didn’t get to stay for the end of the third one, but I want to give my kids credit for sitting and drawing quietly at the back of the room through the ones we did stay for. Thanks, guys!

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Opp said...

I was really disappointed that I couldn't attend Brent Bill's and the QUIP presentations. I usually don't come to Gathering with committee responsibilities, but that was not the case this year, and these "Meet the author" meet-ups were what were impacted the most. *pout*

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

7/16/2008 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home