4.28.2009

Fair Pay Day

According to the National Women's Law Center, April 28, Equal Pay Day, marks the day in 2009 when the average U.S. woman’s wages will finally catch up with those paid to the average U.S. man in 2008. The day serves as an important reminder of the persistent wage gap and the urgent need to take action to ensure that women can receive equal pay for equal work.

From the NWLC website: View state-by-state information on how women continue to be short-changed in their pay and the economic challenges they face, and urge your Senators to support the Paycheck Fairness Act.

I meant to write earlier today about how the interesting thing about unprogrammed Quakers is that we pay our women ministers the same as our men ministers: nada.

Except that it's really more complicated than that. Do we hire women in the paid positions we have at the same rate we hire men? Is there a difference in the pay for positions that have been held by a series of men rather than a series of women? I don't know, I'm just wondering.

And do traveling women ministers get the same respect as traveling men? In my meeting, I think they do. But they haven't always, our collective fuzzy memories notwithstanding. A couple of years ago I read the book, Daughters of Light by Rebecca Larson, and wrote a review here on my blog. Until I read it, "I had not understood that London Yearly Meeting was originally composed only of male ministers and representatives of the men’s quarterly meetings. I didn’t realize that women were not allowed to attend the powerful Meeting for Sufferings in London. And that it was very questionable whether they should come to meetings of ministers and elders, but women prevailed in the end."

In the end, I know that Quakers are not immune to the sexism that permeates our society. However, no one can hold up a book of Faith & Practice of the Religious Society of Friends and say that's the way it's supposed to be. And that alone is a blessing to all of us, women and men.

[Here is the list of other posts for Fair Pay Day!]

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Nate Swift said...

Wow, I recall that Lucretia Mott became active in getting the vote for women after being refused entry to a conference on Slavery in England. See guys, it's ALL our fault!


I think I'm gonna lay low for awhile after that comment.

4/29/2009 6:33 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Nate, come back soon!

5/26/2009 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home