5.28.2009

What I'm Reading Now - Fifth Month 2009

Nation by Terry Pratchett
Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Eyewitness: Sports by DK Books
Eyewitness: Flying Machines by DK Books
The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World by E.L. Konigsburg
Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech
Counsel to the Christian Traveler with Meditations and Experiences by William Shewin, edited by Charles Martin
Strength in Weakness edited by Gil Skidmore
Bloom County (assorted) by Berke Breathed
Paul Revere's Ride by Xavier Nig
The Wonderful O by James Thurber
The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsburg
Wall-to-Wall Baby Blues by Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott
Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture by Michael Frost
Holiness: The Soul of Quakerism by Carole Dale Spencer
Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben

Really, I'm carrying the Quaker books around but I'm staying up late reading the kids' books. I just didn't want a whole month to go by without posting anything.

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I am also a kid lit fan - many seem much more clear-eyed than "adult" lit. I'll have to check out some of the ones you mention.

5/29/2009 12:38 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Hi Mary Ellen - Most of the books on this list are there because someone else brought it into the house. My sons, my husband, some friends who gave them to me - but it's good to have a steady supply of new reading material.

5/29/2009 5:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

What I've been doing is getting recorded books downloaded from my local library and listening to them as I go about my business. They have a pretty good young adult selection, though missing some things I'd really like to hear. I find that listening slows the story down to a pace more like my reading when I was younger, as I now read so fast I sometimes miss much of the nuance and flavor of the stories. I seek out a fair amount of fantasy, which is mostly just for fun - but there's sometimes some spiritual lessons in these.

Here's something that is really out of the ordinary (realism - set in Britain):

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

It's really going to happen. They said it would, but this is quicker than anyone thought. Everyone has to die. We all know it. With only a few months of life left, sixteen-year-old Tessa knows it...

And this one is very well-imagined, showing the growth of this boy's creativity and gumption:

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

This account of a creative spirit on its journey toward fulfillment is set in twelfth-century Korea, where the course of human destiny could be determined by a single celadon...

And this series is a bit out of the ordinary - written by a woman who grew up in India, and set there (including an ashram-like magic users school):

The Conch Bearer
by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

5/29/2009 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I love children's literature, too! I'm reading Homeboyz now, the last in Sitomer's Hoopster trilogy.

6/27/2009 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home