5.12.2008

A Plain Workshop

May 13, 2008 6:00- 8:30 pm
65 Ninth Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, Near Civic Center BART & Muni

How did traditional practices like plain dress or plain speech arise and how did they affect early Friends? What are the postmodern equivalents? What criteria can or do we use? How do we get the exteriors of our lives in order so that we (and God) can do the inner work?

We will read some explanations of old and new testimonies of plainness/simplicity and discuss our own postmodern criteria for plain living.

We will each choose a practice to “try on” and write a brief statement of our own beliefs & commitments in this area.


Come for unprogrammed worship at 6:00, followed by a brown bag supper at 6:30, and discussion at 7:00. Worship and the shared meal will be integral parts of the workshop, come as early as you can. Childcare available. Expect Christian and inclusive language.

This is the first of two evenings that are also trial runs for the workshop "Primitive Quakerism/Postmodern World" that Robin Mohr will lead at the FGC Gathering this summer.

[Update: Here's my report on the workshop, published Friday, May 16, 2008.]

Labels: ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

Blogger Gil S said...

Hope the workshop goes well. I look forward to hearing all about it. Wish I could be there!

5/13/2008 5:34 AM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks Gil! I'm finalizing my plans this morning. If anyone is interested in some advance reading, I recommend www.quakerquaker.org/plain for links to old and new writing about plain dress, speech, etc.

5/13/2008 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin: I'm reading Thomas Clarkson's book on Quaker practices on my commute. This is the best laying out of testimonies I've seen (including plain dress) yet he contextualizes it all in such a way that we can use it to unlock what a Quaker response might be to the difference conditions we face today. I'll be blogging about it as soon as I've caught up from my dead-computer backlog.

5/14/2008 8:57 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Martin. I will look for it in the collections of my local Quaker historians. If you have suggested page references, please share! There was a reference to it in a guest post by Melinda Huskey on your blog, that I excerpted for my workshop.

I have too many good things happening, but I will write up a clearer description of the workshop and the evaluations soon.

5/14/2008 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin: This sounds very interesting, and I will look forward to hearing how it goes. Also, I LOVE the sentence you put about "expect Christian and inclusive language." What a great way to manage expectations!

Best,

Mia

5/15/2008 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home