2.16.2007

Quaker Heritage Day 2007

Gospel Ministry and the Quaker Way

March 3, 2007
9:00 am - 3:30 pm

Berkeley Friends Church

1600 Sacramento St., Berkeley, CA 94702
510-524-4112

RSVP: office@berkeleyfriendschurch.org
Pre-registration by 2/19 is appreciated so that they can plan lunch.
Pre-registration is required if you need childcare.
[My kids are already signed up.]
Suggested donation: $20 per person



Brian Drayton will take us on a tour of Quaker understandings of Gospel Ministry, past, present, and future. If you care for how God's truth is spoken in -- or outside -- of our meetings, this event is for you.

Session 1: Variations on Several Themes: Friends Ministry Through Time

Session 2: Disorder Under Heaven: Is Gospel Ministry Relevant To Our Calling Today?

Session 3: Meetings, Ministry, and the Seed's Victory

And bonus Sunday sessions

I would also like to gather convergent/blogger Friends for dinner afterwards. This was a wonderful Opportunity last year. If you'd like to come, please leave me a comment or send an email to the address in my profile and I'll send you the details.

I've written before about reading Brian Drayton's book, On Living With A Concern For Gospel Ministry.

Here's the bio from the flyer about QHD 2007:

Brian Drayton of Weare (NH) Monthly Meeting is a plant ecologist working in science education research. He has traveled extensively in the ministry carrying a concern to encourage those who contribute to their meeting's ministry. He has given workshops, retreats, and addresses on a range of topics in Quaker history and belief for monthly, quarterly, and yearly meetings and Pendle Hill. In 1994, he published Selections from the Writings of James Nayler. In 2003 he was one of the originators of the Quaker Peacebuilders Camp, a program for teaching nonviolent action based on Quaker spirituality. His most recent book, On Living With a Concern for Gospel Ministry, was one of the best sellers on the book table at the 2006 Quaker Heritage Day.

Labels: , , ,

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Robin,
I just pre-registered for Emily and I, we will be there with bells on...(?) Okay maybe not bells, but something jingly jangly.

2/16/2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Great! I'm thinking we'll do takeout pizza afterwards, does that work for you?

I first met Wess and Emily in person at last year's QHD and it has become a fruitful Friendship, online and in person.

2/18/2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Liz Opp said...

Waaah! I want to be there...

...but it looks like I might be playing organizer for an 11th-hour performance/talk by Quaker activist-blogger Peterson Toscano on March 4, so I better stay put. Prayers that Way might open for such an opportunity would be appreciated!

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

2/21/2007 7:49 PM  
Blogger Robin M. said...

Well, Liz, I'm hoping that someday I'll see Peterson perform, but I probably won't make it on 3/4.

That weekend I'm also missing PYM's representative committee meeting and a FWCC regional gathering on poverty, compassion and economic justice featuring Colin Saxton, former clerk of Right Sharing of World Resources and current superintendent of Northwest Yearly Meeting, which I'm more regretful about.

But simplicity requires us to make choices, especially about travel. I'm looking forward to seeing you later next month in Boston!

2/22/2007 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home